Selling items on eBay continues to be one of the best ways to make extra cash.
By simply cleaning out your closets you can turn your clutter into cash. I’ve sold everything from old camera lenses and used bike parts to event tickets on eBay for a healthy profit.
Here are some guidelines to follow when selling on eBay to get your items sold.
- Research your competition – One great feature of selling on eBay is the ability to research your competition. eBay allows you to see what items have sold for which is important to know if you plan to offer a Buy it Now option.
- Use quality images – Items with photos sell faster and more frequently than those without. Take the time to post multiple quality images to your listing.
- Carefully craft your listing title – Understand how your potential buyers will be searching for your item and use those keywords in the listing title.
- Write a good description of your item – Be specific in your description, make sure it is clear and grammatically correct.
- Start your bidding low and Don’t include a reserve price – Starting with a low opening bid without a reserve will encourage bidding early and often.
- Or offer a Buy it Now option – If you know there is high demand for your item or the item is time sensitive (such as event tickets) you can offer Buy it Now. Be sure to research what identical items have sold for recently and price yours competitively.
- Start your auction on Thursday morning and run it for 10 days. This will give you the most exposure over 2 weekends. And your auction will end on a Sunday morning when bidders have time to check in and submit additional bids.
- Be responsive and polite – Answer questions promptly and politely. Be friendly as people will feel more comfortable bidding with you.
- Be clear on your return policies – State clearly in your listing what your return policies are.
- Offer free shipping within the US.
Selling on eBay can be very profitable. As you sell more you will see what works well and the process will become easier. You may even consider it a side business. If you do pursue a business on eBay, consider opening an eBay store and setting up a toll-free number to give buyers an extra level of confidence and customer service.